Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Special Day


Oh my goodness, I don't know where to start. Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day. We made the trip to Norwich to Longworth's house early. It was a long ride but I was not thinking about the ride too much. I was thinking about seeing Avery. I wore my pale blue dress and it looked perfect. Esther, Leah, Edna and Lorraine sat in the back of the wagon with me. Mother and Father sat up front with Father driving my team, Spud and Tator. He thought they should learn the road since they had the chance. My brothers, Kenneth and Teddy stayed home to do chores.

The Longworths live in a big house right in Norwich. It is very elegant and not at all like our house. Mother looked at Father and rolled her eyes and he smiled back at her catching me watching them. "Yep, Mother dear, our eldest daughter here is doing right well for herself."

"Now that is not a subject to discuss right now. " Mother hushed Father talking in a whisper.

I looked at the house and thought how I always wanted to see the inside of houses like this when we passed them. I had been here to Norwich a couple of times before but Norwich is not really a city by any means. More like a small town. It is growing though. I straightened my hair ribbons and tried to act calm, but I was shaking at the thought of meeting the Longworths and most of all, at the prospect of spending some time with Avery Longworth.

All of a sudden the door opened and there was Mr. and Mrs. Longworth opening the door. Mr. Longworth had a mustache and a twinkle in his eye. He put his hand out to Father, "Welcome, welcome Mr. Kennedy!"

Father grasped his hand, "Thank you Mr. Longworth. Glad to be here. You know my wife of course, Sarah."

Mr. Longworth extended his hand to her, "Mrs. Kennedy, delighted to see again. It's been such a long time."

Mother smiled and replied, "Mr. Longworth, do call me Sarah."

"And do likewise, call me Asa. After all we are about to become family."

We went in the door and entered the house. I eagerly looked around for Avery. Mrs. Longworth came forward and looked at me, she took my hands in her's, "And you must be Rachel, dear."

I nodded. I didn't know what to do, "Good morning Mrs. Longworth."

After that I don't remember much until Avery came in just before we went in for our lunch. He came in and said his hellos to everyone. Then looked at me, didn't say a word for a few minutes. Just looked right in my eyes. I felt very unsettled by his look. Like he was trying to see in my mind or something. I noticed his dark good looks. He has a strong look about him. His face is tanned from working outside I think. He finally spoke to me, "Hello Rachel. I almost forgot how pretty you are." I was completely flustered and tried not to show it.

I will have to finish this diary entry tomorrow. I am trying to put the whole visit down so I will remember every detail for the rest of my life. I will say this though, it was a wonderful day and I can't wait for my wedding day! It will take me some time putting my thoughts down on paper.

Copyright © 2010 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016