Friday, June 18, 2010

A Visit From Father


Finally! Father and my brother Kenneth came to see me! They had to go to pick up some supplies in Norwich and stopped here first. I think Father did not really need the supplies that bad yet but made the excuse so he could check on me. It was the first time he had ever seen our house. He said it was real nice and that he never expected it to be so big. He hugged me and just held onto me, "Rachel honey, how are you doing? Are you okay here?"

I could see the worry in his eyes. "Father, I am doing fine. Is everyone okay at home? Mother?"

He seem relieved, "She's fine. Just worrying about her daughter leaving home. Wanted me to check on you without you knowing she sent me," he smiled.

"Well, Avery has been really good to me. He had the pantry stocked with supplies. The root cellar is full of  vegetables that he over wintered last year. I have a large flock of chickens who are laying. No complaints from me." I laughed.

Kenneth turned to me and asked, "Rachel, would it be okay if I checked out your barn? It is so big! I don't think I have ever been in a barn that big."

"Go ahead Kenneth. I will take Father inside and give him a tour. Then maybe you'd both like something good to eat?" I asked, knowing I had some freshly made muffins and coffee in the kitchen.

I showed Father the house. It is two times the size of my family's house. The rooms are big but sparsely furnished and in need of a woman's touch. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I will. I took the pot of coffee from the hearth and poured it into a cup for Father. Then gave him the creamer of fresh cow's milk. He took a sip and smiled. "I am satisfied now that I have seen you and won't have to worry about you. Your house is secure and it looks like Avery has done well for himself. Of course, when he first approached me about marrying you, I was a bit leery of him."

I smiled at him, "Father, I think I have fallen in love with him. I can't wait for him to get home every day. He is kind and gentle and handsome too."

"I am glad to hear that daughter, it makes marriage nicer."

I jumped up, "I almost forgot! Look what Avery gave me!" I ran out the door to the little dog house where Peanut was snoozing in the sun, and picked him up and brought him inside, just as Kenneth was approaching the door. I held the door open for him and showed him my squirming puppy, "From Avery!" I said.

I took him in the kitchen and sat him on the floor, Father smiled, "Aw, a puppy! Smart man, that Avery. The way to a woman's heart!" he winked at Kenneth.

Kenneth was really impressed with our fields and the horses. Of course, these horses are for the freight line. Avery has 6 work horses that he uses for field work. But the freight horses are his pride and joy because they can handle the huge loads that need to be hauled. Not only for businesses, but for people who are moving, or are sending stuff to other people. Like the job he is hauling today isn't very far away, but it is for a family who moved, and could not haul all their furniture and supplies in their wagon. Avery took the job himself so he could be back here by dark. His drivers are doing his long hauls for now. He told me when I get used to our house, and can handle everything when he is not here, then he will be driving the overnight loads again.

After they left, I felt happy and my head was full of ideas. So off I went to make a list of what I need to make this house more cozy and complete. Can't wait for Avery to get home! I will fix him a very special supper tonight, and maybe I will peel some of those apples and make him a pie.

Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016