Monday, May 31, 2010

Girl Talk



Eliza came over today and we went down to the creek with my sisters. We waded in the water even though it was really cold. Now every time I do anything with them or anyone, I keep thinking I will never do anything with them again. I imagine my sisters will be coming to my new house and spending some nights there every now and then. It is not like I will not see them again. Eliza goes to Norwich shopping about every three or four months. She likes to get her supplies at Wilson's because it is cheaper. So I will see her too. I had fun skipping rocks with them and walking in the cold water. We found some fossils and took them home.

Eliza came to sit beside me on the rocks as I unwrapped some brownies Mother had put in a sack for us to snack on. She said, "Rachel, can I ask you something?"

I looked up and said, "Sure. You can ask me whatever you want."

"It is kinda personal...........if you know what I mean."

I looked at her and said, "Now what could be too personal for you to ask me? Must be about me getting married?" I figured that is the topic on everyone's mind lately, including my own.

"It is." she looked at me with a questioning look.

"Ask away! But first take your pick of Mother's brownies." She came over to me and took one of the brownies, took a bit and sat down on the rocks.

"Aren't you going to be scared to go home with Avery Longworth after your wedding? You don't know him very well and I don't think you have even kissed any boy ever."

"No, I haven't kissed a boy. I never got a chance." I laughed. "But I know my parents would not be sending me to marry Avery Longworth if I wasn't going to be safe with him. He wanted to marry me. So must be he likes me or even loves me."

"Do you love him?"

"Not yet. I think I will learn to love him. Mother says that I will."

After we left the creek and Eliza left, I was in the kitchen helping to prepare supper and I was thinking about the questions Eliza asked me. Do I love Avery Longworth?  I think deep down, I have grown used to the idea of marrying him and being his wife. Being Mrs. Avery Longworth. I am looking forward to the luncheon on Saturday with his family. But especially because Avery will be there too. My future husband.

Copyright © 2010 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016