Saturday, June 19, 2010

Our First Trip To Town



Today Avery and I went into town. I needed supplies. He watched me hook up my horses, Tater and Spud to my wagon. I told him I wanted to take them out and need supplies so thought I'd like to go into town. He wanted to hitch them up for me, but I would not let him. I told him that they are used to me doing it and I really like doing it. So he said that was okay with him but he wanted to go with me. He said he wanted to show me off! Imagine that! Not long ago I was just a kid. Now I am in charge of my own house and people even ask my opinion on things. It is so different for me. It wasn't so long ago that I had to ask my parents permission to go to town. Now I can decide to go when I want to. 

Avery climbed up into the wagon seat next to me, he smiled and said, "I could get used to this. Being driven by my wife. The easy life for me!"

"Don't get too used to it Mr. Longworth." I teased him. "Besides it is not a freight wagon!"

"Maybe I could teach you to drive one of them," he teased back. 

I looked at him, he looked so distinguished and handsome sitting next to me. I felt goosebumps go through my body as I looked at my husband. His eyes suddenly got a twinkle in them, "Sweet Rachel, what are you are thinking this very minute?"

I blushed as I realized he seemed to know what I was thinking. How could he know that I was thinking about how he held me close to him as we got into our bed last night? How could he know the very thing I was frightened of, is the very thing I have in my mind whenever I come into close contact with him? Sitting next to him on the wagon seat, touching him, smelling him, hearing him.................all remind my senses of the physical  side of our relationship. 

When we got to town, he tied up the horses for me, and pointed me in the direction of the stores. He introduced me to so many people that I hoped I would remember their names. Everyone was so attentive to me, and it appeared that I could buy whatever I wanted. They just wrote it on Avery's bill. When we were crossing the street there was a woman standing in front of the hotel, she looked up at us and said, "Why Avery, this must be your new bride."

"Hello Ruth. Rachel, I'd like to introduce a friend of mine, Ruth Adamson. Ruth, meet my wife, Rachel Longworth." he said smiling at me as he went on, "Ruth runs the hotel here. Her husband, Byron owned it and died a few years ago. Now Ruth runs it."

I looked at the hotel. It was a big hotel alot bigger than any hotel I had ever seen. "Hello Ruth, nice to make your acquaintance." I answered back.

Ruth seemed to be studying me over and then replied, "Rachel, I will invite you to lunch in my hotel dining room. How about next week?" She turned toward Avery and said, "Girls luncheon only, Avery. Sorry." 

"That sounds nice Ruth. Just let me know when. I'd like that." 

"Okay, I'll get back to you. Nice meeting you. Bye Avery, I gotta get back to work." she said as she went toward the door of the hotel.

After our ride back home from town, I was putting the supplies away in the pantry and thinking about what to make for supper. I felt contented. Very happy that my life had taken this turn. I had let Avery unhitch Tater and Spud for me. It was kind of nice having a husband after all.

Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016