Friday, May 14, 2010

The Wedding Gown


I tried on my wedding gown this morning. Mother has worked so hard on it. Aunt Dora came over and helped her sew the lace edging on. Aunt Dora had a piece of white satin that she sewed netting to and made a veil. It is beautiful. I can't believe how it all came together so quickly. Father came in when I was wearing it and Mother was pinning the hem. I looked up at him and he had a tear in his eye. He quickly wiped it away and smiled at me. I felt a lump in my throat and could hardly speak. He looked at me again and said, "Rachel, you are going to make a fine looking bride." Coming from Father that was something I will never forget. He doesn't give compliments easily.

After we finished with the gown and I hung it up. We made lunch and sat in the kitchen and talked. It was a fun day. Aunt Dora is Mother's youngest sister. We love when she comes for a visit. She is the mother of five boys, Edward, Fred, Samuel, Timothy, Lawrence, and two girls, Martha and Louisa. Both of the girls are in school today or they would have been here with her. She told us all the news of her home. Her husband, Uncle Daniel raises cattle. My cousins, the boys all help him and work hard on their farm. They go to school when they can, which is not often. But they live well. They have a big farm and a big white house with pillars. She hugged me before she left and pressed in my hand a gold broach. "Oh Aunt Sara! It is beautiful. But I can't accept this from you. You need it for Martha and Louisa." It was very beautiful and very old. I knew it must have been handed down to her from my grandmother.

"Nonsense, Rachel. This goes to the first girl to get married in each generation in our family. It goes to you. I only had it because your Mother gave it to me for my wedding and would not take it back. So we kind of broke the tradition. Time to get it started back up again." she smiled at me.

"Thank you, I will treasure it."

"Just remember to give it to your first daughter to get married," and with that she was out the door.

I stared at it for a long time. Thinking about her words, "Just remember to give it to your first daughter to get married." I would some day have a daughter of my own getting married doing the same things I am doing today. How can that be? Last year I was playing with my dolls with my sisters. Now I am thinking about having babies with a man I hardly know.

Later that night, I went to Father to tell him good night after we had our prayers. I wanted to tell him how much I would miss him. I went to him and grabbed his hand and looked into his blue eyes. I just stared at him thinking of all the times we spent together in the barn with the horses. How he taught me everything I know. How he made me get back on the first horse that threw me off. Even when I was crying that I would never ride another horse again. Ten minutes later I was back on the same horse again and riding him around the paddock. I was glad he made me get back on. "What is it missy? You got something to tell me?"

I just looked at him and shook my head but held his hand tight. I was going to miss him terribly. "Good night Father."

With that he pulled me to him and gave me a big hug, "Good night honey. See you in the morning."

I crawled into bed and cried myself to sleep.

Copyright © 2010 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016