Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day


Today was snowy but sunny. I don't mind the cold winter so much as long as the sun comes out during the day. After the barn chores were finished we made some oatmeal cookies for a treat for Father. They are his favorite and it being a holiday and all us girls thought he'd enjoy them. Holidays around here doesn't mean that we don't work. Our chores have to be done every day. Even on holidays. On Sunday there are some chores that still must be done. We try to prepare for it on Saturday though. Most of our meals are cooked on Saturday and just need to be warmed up.

Today I brought in more kindling for the wood stoves. Filled the water barrel. Mixed and kneaded the dough for 8 loaves of bread. Let it rise while we made the cookies. Later I need to do some mending on my dresses as Mother wants them all fixed, so I can help her with the sewing of my new dresses. My wedding plans are taking priority over any activities I used to enjoy with my sisters. Sometimes I would l just like to forget this marriage thing but am afraid to say that to Mother. She seems to be happy about it.

I know a girl name Nancy Kingston who was able to marry the boy she chose. Her parents were happy for her and never told her she had to marry anyone. I am not sure why it is not that way in my family. Mother said her father, my grandfather, who we called Papa chose Father for her long before she was my age. They always knew they would be married some day. I can't help wondering about the families who don't do that. They seem to be happy and have nice families anyway.

Copyright © 2010 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016