Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Longworth Freight Company

Photo Credit: The Library Of Congress

Today I started making some new shirts for Benjamin. He is almost too big for anything I have left. I am afraid most of his clothes still look new. I have cut out five shirts this morning and will finish at least two of them today. He is already eating some solid food as I fear I cannot keep him satisfied. Today he is crawling around on the floor. He has been pulling himself up and knocking things over. Sometimes it is hard to sew when he is doing that and I try to wait till he naps.

Avery surprised me by coming in early this morning, "Guess what!" he said excitedly.

"I can't guess. What is it?" I said as I continued with my sewing.

"I found the building for the freight company!"

I got up and went to him, "You did? Where is it?" I ask eagerly. I wanted him to finalize his decision to run the company from here and not do the driving himself anymore.

"It is the old Carbon Company building. It has been empty a long time but has potential. I can spruce it up but it doesn't need much and outside it has a good area to load the wagons. There is also a small barn area with a paddock. Not real big but big enough for a new company."

"Oh Avery, that sounds perfect!"

"I meet Paulie Carbon tomorrow at Ruth's restaurant to iron out the details. He doesn't want much for it and we can afford it."

I jumped into his arms, "Oh good! That means you are definitely done with driving and being away from home?" I asked hoping I was right.

He gathered me up in his arms and smiled, "Yes Rachel, it means you are stuck with me home every day like all the other poor wives about town."

I stared into his eyes, I loved this man with all my heart. He was everything to me and I hated the thought of him ever being away from me again. Especially after the time when he was attacked and almost killed. Benjamin who was sitting in his toy box playing suddenly looked up at us and wanted to be included, started fussing and reaching his arms toward us.

Avery laughed, "Look who's jealous!" He bent down and scooped our son up and included him in our hug, "Now we have to have family hugs."  He put his nose into my hair and took a deep breath, "glory woman, you drive me crazy anytime I get anywhere near you."

Benjamin started his baby talk and we both laughed. Life is good for us now. The Lord is smiling down on the Avery Longworth family for sure. I have never felt such happiness in my heart before. It gave me an idea! "Avery, let's invite my family for dinner Sunday and have a special day in honor of our new company."

"Whatever your heart desires. It is fine with me."

I thought about what changes had taken place in my life since I had married Avery. Who would have thought a girl like me just turned seventeen would be a wife to such a wonderful man and a mother to the most beautiful baby boy? I thought of my sister, Esther who is getting married in a couple of months to a man she hardly knows and doesn't seem to care about at all. And my friend, Eliza who lives with her father and grandfather and barely has enough money to live on. I am so blessed. All of a sudden I wanted to help everyone find the same happiness.

"Avery, can I invite my friend Eliza too? She could ride in with my family."

"Of course, whoever you want. Look at Benjamin!"

I looked at him and he was putting my clean cake pans on his head and laughing. I smiled, but said, "Oh no Benjamin, that is not a toy." I took it from him.

Later as I was finishing up the last shirt before supper, I thought about how Avery and I had settled into a daily routine that was fitting for us. It wasn't the way my parents lived. Or the way the Longworths lived. It was our routine and our life. Our children would be a part of that. It would be their routine and it would form them for their future lives. I was feeling eager to teach my children the way my parents taught me and my brothers and sisters. Yes, God has been good to me. He has surely blessed me and I would not let him down.

Copyright © 2010  Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016