Sunday, July 22, 2012

Waiting For Avery Again




I have been doing all the chores but not worrying about the freight office. With two babies here at home, I cannot take them down there and leave the house empty. Here at least, I feel safe. Some other men in town went with William. Taking a woman against her will, even if it is her husband's doing is not thought of as being right around here. I wish I'd hear something from Avery. At least to know that he is well and on his way home. Right now, I really need him.

Today I heard hooves coming up the road at a fast clip. I said a prayer that it would be Avery, but I knew it wasn't. He'd be driving our freight wagon home and would not be riding a single horse fast. That is unless something happened to the wagon and team and I'd hate to think of that happening. It turned out to be Mr. Masters the man at the telegraph office. He brought me a wire from Avery! Oh boy, I was so excited that I almost forgot to offer Mr. Masters something to eat and drink. He took a hand full of my sugar cookies and drank down a large glass of lemonade I had just made. He had to get back to the telegraph office and had no time to loiter.

As soon as he left, I ripped open the telegraph message. It read:

"Rachel, detained. On trip home now. Arrive in 3 days. Avery"

I jumped up and down! I grabbed Benjamin and sang, "Your Daddy is coming home! Your Daddy is coming home!" He smiled and giggled at his mommy's silliness.

I quickly put my apron back on and hauled out the flour, "Time to make some bread! Avery will be starving for some of my home cooking when he gets home."

Benjamin was still smiling at me. I looked at him and thought with all the things going on around here, he probably could feel how stressed I had been. First Avery had gone on this long trip and then Lola was kidnapped and William leaving to go look for her. Avery had counted on Lola and William being here to help me but now it was all on me. That has caused me to neglect the children as far as enjoying them and doing things together. Now Avery is coming home! 3 days!

Later that evening, I was out in the barn securing the doors. I had brought in all the horses since Lola had been missing. With just me here, I had to be extra careful. That Loomis gang knows where all the good horses are around here. Better be safe than sorry as Father always says.

Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
All Photographs Copyright © 2012 Kathleen G. Lupole
Updated 2016